AceTrader

This site was designed to communicate with friends who share similar interest. The interest in the "free market". Stocks, over the long term, provide the best return on your money. More than cash, bonds and even real estate. Understand that investing is a learning process. We will learn from our mistakes and move on. This is a journey. Enjoy the ride!

Name:
Location: Bayside, New York, United States

My love for the market began in 1987 when I first opened a brokerage account with Fidelity Investments. You know what happened back in 87'. "Black Monday", the market crashed. My initial $ went down fast. Thus began my thirst for the challenge to make it in the market. Although I have science background, my Bachelors degree is in Economics from Washington University (great school). I also have earned an MBA in Finance from Fordham University, New York. Although I am registered as an "investment advisor" with the NASD, any information in this blogger is not intended for any business use.

Thursday, October 26, 2006

Update #2: UTK

For your eyes, I am showing you what others are saying today.

1. Below is a copy of note posted by one of the investors today:

Just now investor relations returned my call. I asked why is UTK down? I don't see any news. They said that someone had shorted many shares of UTK and spread rumors about UTK's NAV stock price, however there is nothing to worry about. Call them yourself at (813) 754-4330. If they are busy leave them your number and they will return your call.

2. Another investor had this to say:

Once again here are the facts! UTEK invested in technology licenses of about $800,000 which were subsequently transferred to XNL for shares of its stock. UTEK cashed out of XNL close to $5 million. UTEK continues to hold about a million shares of XNL. At the current price of XNL of three dollars per share, UTEK total benefit from its technology transfers equal to about $8 million. $8 million compared to $800,000 is a significant gain and validates the technology transfer model. Anyone who argues differently is stupid!For 2006 so far,UTEK has made public that they conducted 24 technology transfers. There are close to 50 strategic alliances acknowledged.Since most of the stock received from the technology transfer is restricted from sale by one year. UTEK sells a portion of the stock after the restriction lapses equal to their original investment in acquiring technology licenses that are immediately transferred to various companies. As a result, within the next 12 months the company will generate lots of cash at least from the lapse of restriction of the stocks they hold.

Note to self: This can be one of two things.
Either this is a real buying opportunity OR this is a beginning of a melt down of Utek business. Personally, I believe in tech-transfer-for-value business model. UTK is simply acting like a broker/consultant to small tech companies. Basically, commissions are paid with restricted (for 1 year) shares of these public companies. I know that the demand for these kinds of services are hugh and Utek is one of the first companies to take care of these needs.

I, for one, believe in the Utek business model.
Let's just hope that there is no foul play here.
For now, I believe in the current CEO and my gut feeling.
Let's wait for the official news by the company itself.

P.S: STMP is up to $17.24 today. We bought this two days ago at $15.08/sh. Nice +15% move in a short time.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice write up about UTK. I am definetely holding onto my shares, atleast till next weeks earnings call.

I have a questino about MIDS.PK. I got in at 1.25 and it seems to be sliding lower on good news? The news release last week mentioned that they signed agreements with KEB, but the stock has still taken a beating.

What are your thoughts on this? Hold and wait, or sell and cut losses?

-Jo

4:03 PM  
Blogger Jaewoo said...

Jo:

I would hold MIDS at least until 1st or 2nd quarter of 2007. Be patient with this one. You only had this for a short time. MIDS has not taken a beating. With stocks like this, 10%-25% swings are the "norm". You might want to place a buy limit order for $0.95 and see? Lower your cost.

8:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home