AceTrader

This site was designed to communicate with friends who share similar interest. The interest in the "free market". Stocks, over the long term, provide the best return on your money. More than cash, bonds and even real estate. Understand that investing is a learning process. We will learn from our mistakes and move on. This is a journey. Enjoy the ride!

Name:
Location: Bayside, New York, United States

My love for the market began in 1987 when I first opened a brokerage account with Fidelity Investments. You know what happened back in 87'. "Black Monday", the market crashed. My initial $ went down fast. Thus began my thirst for the challenge to make it in the market. Although I have science background, my Bachelors degree is in Economics from Washington University (great school). I also have earned an MBA in Finance from Fordham University, New York. Although I am registered as an "investment advisor" with the NASD, any information in this blogger is not intended for any business use.

Sunday, December 03, 2006

Performance Update 2006

My surgery last Thursday went as smooth as silk.
This time around, I don't even remember when the doctors put me under. The last thing I remember: I was joking around with the doctors while lying on the surgery bed. When I woke up, I was in the recovery room already. Wow! I love these amzing drugs. When I came home, I did have some pain while urinating but as of today the pain has subsided. If you think about it, it is quite amazing what modern medicine can do today. Too bad, that we have no cure for cancer yet. Well, I guess you can't have everything.

Now here is our YTD performance in 2006:

Index NAV (1/1) NAV (12/1) Performance %

SP500 1,248.29 1,396.71 +11.89 %
Nasdaq 2,205.32 2,413.21 +9.43 %
AceTrader 1,315.32 1,874.34 +42.50 %

As noted above, these numbers are as of last Friday (December 1st, 2006). We were up more than +50% not too long ago, but some of our holdings gave back some recently. Not to worry. Even with those mishaps, our performance is in the top 1% of all professional money managers (mutual funds, hedge funds and institutions). And most importantly, this is not a hypothetical portfolio. We use real money! Our current holdings and our cost is listed below.

Stock Avg.Cost Price (12/1/06) Gain/Loss % Target
RICK $4.80 $6.79 +41.46% $10.10
BTYH $1.04 $0.60 -42.31% $2.40
MIDS $1.03 $1.10 +6.80% $2.75
AUTO $1.09 $1.07 -1.83% $2.16
IDWD $0.76 $1.17 +54.35% $2.75
UTK $13.65 $12.53 -8.21% $28.00
QID $51.00 $53.32 +4.55% $57
PRZ $1.01 $1.02 +0.99% $1.90
GDX $40.18 $41.54 +3.38% $48.00
CMGI $1.33 $1.33 +0.00% $2.45
XMSR $12.89 $14.45 +12.10% $22.50
EXPEZ $4.37 $7.57 +73.07% $9.90
STMP $15.08 $15.60 +3.45% $28.00
NTE $14.97 $16.18 +8.08% $22.00
IGLD $5.29 $11.44 +116.26% $12.00
MATK $26.42 $24.29 -8.06% $38.00
HLS - no value yet (special dividend from IDWD)

The stocks are listed by size of holdings. Another words, RICK is my largest holding in our portfolio. You will notice that the size ranking has changed quite a bit from the last update (9/4 th blog). This reflects our various recent sales to lock in profits. It is very important to be diversified in investing.

As you know, I like to keep my holding size to be about a dozen (12) stocks in our portfolio. Currently we have sixteen (16). This is too many. However, this situation won't last too long:
1. The QID holding is for short term only. As soon as it reaches the target of $57, it will be sold, pronto.
2. Sell the rest of your IGLD on Monday. I still like the company but it went up too fast and we have near +120% gain on this stock in a few months. Let's lock in the gain and wait for better entry later.
3. I will look to exit one or more positions in coming weeks.

This is not a time to be aggressive. The market seems to be tired and it looks like it wants to rest. Let's wait for better prices before buying.

P.S: Our final performance update will be at year-end. Although I will be on vacation (from 12/24/2006 - 01/09/2007) I will try to give you the final numbers. Being up +43% YTD is no small feat. Most professional money managers would die to have numbers like ours. Our most recent two buys (QID & GDX) reflect my cautious stand. Both are up nicely in a few days. Let's see how the market unfolds in December. I am very comfortable with our holdings ...

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Portfolio Review:
Stock Avg.Cost Price (12/1/06) Gain/Loss %

EXPEZ $4.06 / $7.57 / 84.45%
AUTO $1.07 / $1.07 / 0%
MATK $29.94 / $24.29 / -18.87%
IDWD $1.07 / $1.17 / 9.35%

Based on your comments, I want to buy PRZ and CMGI. Right now, I only have enough cash to buy 1 1/2 blocks. So I need to sell some or all of one of the stocks for that ½ block. What should I sell?

My thoughts are sell enough shares of EXPEZ (about 1/3 of what I own) and take the profit like you did. MATK and IDWD I have a good feeling about, so I want to hold. AUTO I'm on the fence as to whether to hold or sell.

Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks to you my portfolio is doing so well!

1:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another question: Are PRZ and CMGI the best ones to buy right now, in order to have an overall portfolio in terms of risk?

AUTO and IDWD are high risk, not sure how to assess the other 2. But PRZ and CMGI are high risk as well, right?

1:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have more than 20 stocks in my portfolio most of them recommended by you and Siyu and as soon as one of them reaches my target I sell them and buy others.
I think one can make more money on 20 stocks than 10 as the more stocks I have the more chances I have that some of them are reaching my target to exit.
Any comment will be appreciated.
I am glad that your surgical procedure went well.
Gus

1:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on the excellet YTD values and (more importantly) on the success of your surgery!

Curious to know, is GDX still a buy in your book now? Whats the target?

8:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome. Glad to hear your surgery went well!

-Jo

12:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gentlemen:

I am writing this at the hospital waiting for my chemo therapy. I love to answer your comments. It confirms that my work is not going to waste. Here's my take:

Small(give first name next time ):
As per my past writings, take profit on EXPEZ and buy PRZ. Your thoughts were on right places - act on it now. Hold AUTO - as we are. PRZ by all standards is considered high risk but I disagree. Risk has to do with price. PRZ is cheap = low risk.

Gus: Always pleasure to hear from you Doc. In your case, holding 20 is just fine - your seven (7) figure size portfolio needs at least that much, you can afford it. However, I actually have to do research and constantly follow up on my picks. This takes time & energy. I have concluded that about a dozen (12) is optimal number for me right now. Besides, my portfolio size is still in the mid six (6) figure range anyway.

Anonymous:
Yes, GDX is for an intermediate term holding (+/- 6 months). You may buy it now. Target is gold at $750 or so. GDX is a must for any portfolio in my opinion. Gold is best bought in 4th quarter (December) statistically speaking. Buy it now.

12:38 PM  
Blogger Uniq said...

Nice website 👍😊

8:25 AM  
Blogger Uniq said...

Good

8:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home