AceTrader

This site was designed to communicate with friends who share similar interest. The interest in the "free market". Stocks, over the long term, provide the best return on your money. More than cash, bonds and even real estate. Understand that investing is a learning process. We will learn from our mistakes and move on. This is a journey. Enjoy the ride!

Name:
Location: Bayside, New York, United States

My love for the market began in 1987 when I first opened a brokerage account with Fidelity Investments. You know what happened back in 87'. "Black Monday", the market crashed. My initial $ went down fast. Thus began my thirst for the challenge to make it in the market. Although I have science background, my Bachelors degree is in Economics from Washington University (great school). I also have earned an MBA in Finance from Fordham University, New York. Although I am registered as an "investment advisor" with the NASD, any information in this blogger is not intended for any business use.

Thursday, January 18, 2007

Buy: QID (again)

Let me repeat what I said yesterday: " The market is quickly loosing its mojo". When the general market seems weak, we go and buy QID (most of my readers learned at least this much). Today, we purchased QID for the Acetrader's portfolio at $51.82/share. This is our second try to short the market. (For those of you who don't remember, we first tried this during mid-December but quickly got out - the market was still strong then). There's no guarantee that this time will be any different. I just feel that the risk/reward ratio looks fair at this time. Those of you who want in - try to buy it near my price or better. Usually, most of you can get better price than I did, since I tend to buy it early and sell it early.

I am comfortable with most of our holdings right now but I am looking for excuses to trim it down. Regarding XMSR: FCC today stated that there will be no appeal in the decision to block the merger between XMSR and SIRI. OK, OK, we get it now. Theses companies have to survive on its own. The potential $ savings from the merger was very, very juicy but I guess it will result in creating a hugh monopoly (oh, how I love monopoly - Microsoft is almost a monopoly). The bottom line: Due to this news, XMSR will loose interest from the investment community. As you know, I like this company even on its own. Although the price is cheap, it might get even cheaper. Our cost was $12.89 and we have a gain of +27.6% as of today's close. Let's lock in our gains and try to buy it back at better price. Sell XMSR tomorrow near $16.45

This weekend, I will try to close the accounting for the year 2006.
I am still weak from the long trip and need much rest. But let me share a secret: "Acetraders portfolio just hit an all time high today!" The recent strength from our top three holdings did it. In investing, gains and losses come in quick, short intervals followed by slow, long periods of going nowhere. As I will share it with you later but: during the first 2 weeks of 2007, we have almost same gains in our portfolio as the entire year of 2006! Nice ...

2007 is the year of the Golden (actually Red) Pig.
Just know that this only happens in a few hundred years.
This will be a fantastic year indeed : )

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jae-

Welcome back!

Do you have a price target price for BTYH this week?

Also, I just discovered RURL (which is in the same business as Southland) is trading at P/E 110! Well, even if Southland doesnt come close to that.. i think it has some serious profit potential.

-Jo

1:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jo:

Good to hear from you.
Let's not get greedy with this one. Let's make a quick profit and get out. I do not wish to hold shares long term. Try to sell before the end of this month. After the spin-off, I think we can get better price to enter. I am looking to exit soon between 1.45 - 1.85 rang.

9:04 AM  
Blogger Sonderval said...

Hey Jae, regarding the BTYH situation - surely you can see the potential there for some large profits once you receive the Southland shares and it goes public? The minimum listing for NASDAQ will surely push up the value of these shares?

1:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jae, this is John. I feel somewhat naked without Rick. No mas!! I'll be buying again

I am looking at ethanol stocks again.

Greenshift and Pac ethanol PEIX

I got out last year as we thought we were early, and I was... I might still be early, but just in case...

7:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.

10:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home