AceTrader

This site was designed to communicate with friends who share similar interest. The interest in the "free market". Stocks, over the long term, provide the best return on your money. More than cash, bonds and even real estate. Understand that investing is a learning process. We will learn from our mistakes and move on. This is a journey. Enjoy the ride!

Name:
Location: Bayside, New York, United States

My love for the market began in 1987 when I first opened a brokerage account with Fidelity Investments. You know what happened back in 87'. "Black Monday", the market crashed. My initial $ went down fast. Thus began my thirst for the challenge to make it in the market. Although I have science background, my Bachelors degree is in Economics from Washington University (great school). I also have earned an MBA in Finance from Fordham University, New York. Although I am registered as an "investment advisor" with the NASD, any information in this blogger is not intended for any business use.

Friday, April 21, 2006

UTEK Corporation.

As I told you yesterday, I attended a seminar which presented numerous emerging public companies this morning at the Yale Club in Manhattan. I also asked you to pray that I come back with juicy new ideas for all of us to profit from. Guees what - Someone indeed prayed.
I was able to pick one company that I think can make us some money! This is really an interesting company. Are you familier with the term "B2B" or "B2C" ? These were very popular terms used during the dot com bubble days (year 2000). "B2B" which means business-to-business, is a widely used acronym these days but do you know what "U2B" means? Answer: Univeristy-to-business. Please allow me to introduce the company I am talking about.

UTEK Corporation (UTK), a technology transfer company, enables companies to acquire and commercialize technologies primarily developed by universities, medical centers, and federal research laboratories worldwide. UTK pays money to universities with valuable research and buys the technology, then it delivers those tech to public companies who need them, UTK receives in return stocks from those companies. UTK can sell the stocks at later time to convert it to cash to fund further research purchase.

Currently UTK holds stocks from over 50 different public companies and it also has about $15 million in the bank. At todays price of $14.15 we are paying about 2 times book value (not the cheapest but reasonable). This is for an investment account (1 year+ holding period) not a trading account. I believe that this company has a lot of room to grow (expect 50%+ gain). Just so you know, I purchased UTK today at $14.35/share. I think you can get better price during the next few days. With an investment like this, I do not try to get the cheapest price (unlike my day trading account) . I want in. I suggest you look into this and get some too.

Idea number 2:
Next Monday do not look good. Chances are the market will be weak. I will be shorting Travelzoo (TZOO) in the morning. Don't ask me why but regular readers know that I am quite good at locating a potential disasters. TZOO will be a problem stock. We will profit from this situation (hopefully). This is for a quick trade only. If you are not a day-trader, don't bother. Simply watch and enjoy. TZOO closed at $44.35/sh. I expect it to fall to $36/sh. (That's a potential $8 gain per share!). You know I can't wait until next Monday. I am too excited.
Isn't life wonderful?
As most of you know, I thank god everyday. Trust me -You should too.
Have a beautiful weekend.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A friend has about 6K to invest. Wants to put it all in RICK. I'm suggesting don't put all your eggs in one omelet. Put 1 unit, 3K, into RICK, 1 unit into another idea.

What's your advice AceTrader?

11:01 PM  
Blogger Jaewoo said...

Please refer to "How to get started" dated 4/16 blog. $3,000 is a small but viable unit. If your friend has $6,000 then I would certainly suggest 2 units of $3k in teo different stocks. 1 unit in RICK (great choice) and choose one more by looking at my own holdings? (Put $ where my mouth is). Don't ask anyone what he likes, ask him where his own hard-earned money is. Good luck.

12:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home